Labels

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

[Tutorial] How To Import LastPass Passwords Into KeePassX ~ Web Upd8: Ubuntu / Linux blog

With privacy becoming a public issue not only from "hackers" but also from the government being able to access much of information without much oversight, some have opted to use cloud services less and less.  LastPass, a very good password management system that integrates with your web browser is one that I've thought a lot about lately.  If you don't know what LastPass is, it's basically an online password manager that will store your usernames and passwords when you allow it.  Then when you have to login to a web site again, it can automatically fill in those fields and even auto log you in if you choose.  A time saver and a life saver for those of us who have many passwords and actually use unique passwords to help secure our data and information.



In the past years we've seen major companies have their security compromised which should make you wonder about your privacy when it comes to storing passwords in the cloud.  So I'm going to try KeePassX to see if it's as easy as LastPass and if it's worth keeping all my passwords stored locally.

Part of the transition into using KeePass is getting my passwords from LastPass into it.  Unfortunately there's no intuitive easy way to do this.  Of course when in doubt, Google is your friend.  I stumbled on to a Webupd8.org article that made it very easy to do.  This is targeted towards the Linux audience since you have to use command line to execute the conversion.  I used the instructions provided and even though it wasn't, at least to me, obvious what to do.  It took me less then a minute to get my LastPass database into my KeePass database.  Leave a comment if you are having trouble and I will try to help if I can.

[Sources]
How To Import LastPass Passwords Into KeePassX ~ Web Upd8: Ubuntu / Linux blog:

'via Blog this'

No comments:

Post a Comment