Labels

Friday, October 23, 2009

[News] Xbox Live Update Preview: Info

So I checked the link this morning to see my status as a candidate for the Xbox Live Update Preview Program.  (whew that’s a long winded title).  I was happy when I got this screen.
fall2009update
So I immediatly turned on my Xbox to see if I was going to get the update.  Nothing.  Umm, okay.  I turn it back off and try again and… nothing.  Okay, now this sucks.  Time to head over to the Xbox Forums to see if I can find any answers.  Nothing on there.  So I go to Major Nelson’s site.  I did find out if you got the above screen and only the above screen you have been accepted.  It also states that the preview will be rolled out in 3 waves.  The first being this morning.  The second according to the Major’s twitter will be rolled out later today.  I can only assume that everyone that was going to be accepted got the acceptance screen but it doesn’t separate which wave you will be in.   I will post any updates here when I find them out.

UPDATE (10/23/09):  After combing through the Major Nelson site, I've come to the conclusion that I probably just haven't received the update but I am accepted.  From what I can gather, the update should be pushed again at about 9 pm eastern time.  Also even if you are in the first wave then it still could take a little time for your Xbox to actually get the update.  Courtesy of Goodeye84 here are some additional things you can try to see if you can get your console to update. Good luck.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Goodeye84:

"I posted this in the Xbox forums for the update but not sure if I can post that URL (even though if you were not selected you can't access it.) this is what it says:
I have had this happen to me on the updates before. I have gotten into the preview but for whatever reason the update just wont kick over. Here are my Steps to do this!
1) Go to the System setting in the My Xbox section and select memory.
2) Highlight the hard drive (DO NOT SELECT IT!) You should see the "Y" button show up below select "Y"
3) Highlight and select Clear Cache
4) Put a game into your console you know has had updates for it. (halo 3 is one, I used LIPS) Almost every single game has had some sort of update.
5) You should get the "Disconnected from Xbox Live" Message show up and then the Box prompting for an update.
If you see this Carefully read it, It should say something a long the lines of "There is a System update for your console....... etc" It needs to say "System Update" for this to work. If it says a "Title Update" your either not in the update preview (Yet) or my guess is Microsoft just hasn't had a chance to add your console info into their database. The Fact you have access to these forums means your in!
I have had to do this for each update. Something gets weird or something but the game pings LIVE to make sure it has all the updates it causes your console to see that not only does it not have that update it does not have the correct dashboard update hence it finally downloading the update!"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE (10/23/09 | 2:43pm): Just checked my Microsoft Connect account and saw that they have posted an update.  The update read:
IMPORTANT: We have already begun the process of rolling out the updates to your console. If you do not receive it right away, don’t worry, you will get it soon. If you do not receive the update by Tuesday, let us know. In the meantime, please do not submit feedback about not yet receiving the update.
I will continue to post updates here.

UPDATE (10/23/09 | 6:17PM):
As I'm writing this, I'm receiving tweets from Major Nelson.  This is what he's saying:

Oct 23 6:08
If you got an email saying you are in the preview program, but did not get the update, please read the email carefully...
Oct 23 6:08
Specifically, this line '"If you do not receive it right away, don't worry, you will get it soon. "
Oct 23 6:09
In other words...patience my friends. Smiley
Oct 23 6:10
Of course if you did not get an email, but you got the update, your Connect profile may have incorrect data, or your spam filter is strong!
UPDATE (10/23/09 | 10:11PM):
Major Nelson Tweeted @9:37:
The 2nd (and final) wave is in the process of being deployed over LIVE. A *LOT* more are getting it this wave vs wave 1.
I’m getting the update pushed down now.  I had to force start it though. Follow these instructions.
  1. Go to the System setting in the My Xbox section and select memory.
  2. Highlight the hard drive (DO NOT SELECT IT!) You should see the "Y" button show up below select "Y"
  3. Highlight and select Clear Cache
  4. Put a game into your console you know has had updates for it. (halo 3 is one, I used LIPS) Almost every single game has had some sort of update.
  5. You should get the "Disconnected from Xbox Live" Message show up and then the Box prompting for an update.
  6. If you see this Carefully read it, It should say something a long the lines of "There is a System update for your console....... etc" It needs to say "System Update" for this to work. If it says a "Title Update" your either not in the update preview (Yet) or my guess is Microsoft just hasn't had a chance to add your console info into their database. The Fact you have access to these forums means your in!
NOTE: You can expect about a 30 minute download.

No comments:

Post a Comment